Re: Node.js and it's future in debian

Le 03.05.2012 09:19, Bernd Zeimetz a écrit :
On 05/01/2012 11:32 PM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand the above sentence. Do you mean that it is
impossible to come to a consensus when one maintainer of a relevant
package disagrees?  I can understand that claim, but it doesn't seem
to be the same as the sentence above.

If one of the maintainers disagrees with a solution you did not come to
a consensus. Yes. And the policy has an easy solution for that:

10.1 Binaries
The maintainers should report this to the debian-devel mailing list and try to find a consensus about which program will have to be renamed. If
a consensus cannot be reached, both programs must be renamed.

And this is - looking at this way too long thread - the best solution
for this issue imho.

As said many times, node is an interpreter used in shebang. Using a different name would just upset its user base. Debian will be seen, again, as the one harming a community, like this may happen in the Ruby community because of lack of understanding on how we work. Outside of Debian, nobody will understand why a package related to HAM radio hinders the use of one of the trendiest package (in the top 5 of most watched and forked repository in GitHub).

We are building a distribution for users. There are far more users of node.js than there is for node. Plus the fact that the proposed change will be absolutely invisible to most users of the "node" package.