Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 08:19:44PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Apr 29, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:
>
> > While sysvinit is clearly inferior, it gives us (Debian) something the
> > others do not: control over our own destiny, and the ability to
> > modify every aspect of it and the init scripts to fit our needs.  Both
> > systemd and upstart are largely influenced by third parties.  As a
> I do not consider settling for obsolete software to be a useful
> direction for Debian, nor is NIH a great argument in software design.

Just to be clear, I am by no means suggesting that we should stick
with sysvinit.  I am merely pointing out that there are important
factors to consider /in addition to/ the technical merits of the init
system.  With systemd we get a technically excellent system, but we are
also buying into a whole lot more than that, some good, some bad.

Keeping our options open, and evaluating what are options are
available and usable is important, and this is the principal reason
why I am interested in looking at OpenRC.  It doesn't hurt to try it
out and see if it meets our needs.

Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh