Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 07:54:43AM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:07:37AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > So far, I haven't seen any features in systemd that outweigh those. And
> > the fact that upstream is lazy and doesn't want to do this portability
> > thing shouldn't mean we should throw out our other ports.
>
> Er, let's not call upstream lazy just because they don't want to do
> work that has no interest for themselves.

I don't see what else I should call them.

I'm not saying that being lazy is necessarily a bad thing, nor that they
must absolutely do this portability thing. But I do think that writing
portable software isn't that hard, and that not doing it is pure
lazyness.

Note that I consider "software which has more features on one platform
than it does on another, but that still has basic functionality on all
platforms" to be portable; but systemd doesn't even do that.

> We don't require Debian developers to do work for Debian
> (Constitution, 2.1.1), after all.

First, Lennert isn't a Debian developer.

Second, I'm not requiring anything of him.

All I'm saying is that if someone wants to do something for Debian, they
better not break other people's work in the process unless they have a
good reason. Replacing sysvinit with another implementation that doesn't
work on all our ports would fail that, and is therefore not something I
would consider acceptable.

the following formula:

pi zz a