Re: picking packages from repos was: debian-multimedia.org considered harmful

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 09:47:28AM +0100, Thomas Koch wrote:
> could you point me to the necessary documentation, please? I'd like to enable
> the non-free repo, but only pick a few packages from it. How can I do this?

man apt_preferences

> This would also be useful to pick only a few packages from unstable, e.g.
> those that I maintain.

For instance I use

$ cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/01-debian-policy.pref /etc/apt/preferences.d/01-lintian.pref
Package: debian-policy
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 605
Package: lintian
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 605

While my /etc/apt/preferences has lines like this

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 501

Package: *