Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 10:12:43AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 07:54:43AM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > Er, let's not call upstream lazy just because they don't want to do
> > work that has no interest for themselves.
>
> I don't see what else I should call them.
>
> I'm not saying that being lazy is necessarily a bad thing

It's a perjorative term and people could interpret it to mean bad.

> But I do think that writing portable software isn't that hard, and that not
> doing it is pure lazyness.

It's not about difficulty, systemd isn't not-portable simply because the
authors haven't got around to it yet; it fundamentally relies on a Linux-only
technology.

The features you've defended FreeBSD for (jails, ZFS) are not portable either;
which is to say, if you write software that depends on them, it won't work on
Linux.

--
Jon Dowland