Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

Fernando Lemos <fernandotcl@gmail.com> writes:
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

>> Of course the hard part is to make the initial decision to switch to a
>> given init system; this is the kind of things Debian is very bad at.

> That's something I've always wondered. It seems to me that we'll *never*
> reach any form of consensus in debian-devel about switching to a
> different sysvinit. So who could make this decision? There's the
> technical committee, but with due respect, I'm not sure they'd be able
> to vote on this in a reasonable timeframe.

We did on multiarch.

This is definitely currently a problem, but it's something I'd like to try
to fix, and I think it may be possible to fix.

> It seems that everyone has a strong opinion when it comes to upstart and
> systemd, even people who don't work on lower level stuff. Whole
> proposals get stalled because basically anyone can become a blocker.

Note that progress on upstart is not blocked currently by these threads in
debian-devel, but by the things that Steve listed.  The Policy change
needs to be finalized before we can really start talking about it, and
that's just waiting on wording changes and improvements and additional
examples, IMO.

That these discussions are ongoing doesn't mean that they're actually
blocking anything.