Re: directory under /usr/bin -- Ok or not?

Hi there!

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:19:26 +0100, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Nov 2011, Roger Leigh wrote:
>> When considering the divide between "internal use" and "for users",
>> consider that if it's for users to invoke then it should simply be
>> in the default path.  It's not typical to need to add special
>> directories to one's path, and it's certainly not encouraged or
>> recommended.
>
> Well -- that is all cool and in an ideal world  I am with you on this
> one.  BUT it is often the case (e.g.  with scientific software) that
> suite provide bulk of (>100) cmdline tools.  Some of those come without
> unique names and are already widely used by people running Debian or
> whatnot, so changing their habbits/scripts is not as easy as "lets just
> renamed them".  Sure thing we recommend upstream either coming up with
> custom prefixes/unique names or gateway wrappers to avoid conflicts
> and/or reduce hit on the proliferation of namespace of cmdline tools...
> But once again -- it ain't happening at once and for all, so let's
> not discuss this aspect further here.

Exactly, discussion about this practice (which, BTW, is coded in
Policy), was at:

  <http://bugs.debian.org/190753>

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

PS, I am researcher in biology and hate this practice of providing bulk
    of cmdline tools with generic name:

      <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=642986#10>