Re: Distribution and support for Debian-502-i386-netinst

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 06:39:28AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 04:10 +0000, Cherukuri, Shravan Kumar wrote:
> > I have an image of Debian-502-i386-netinst-iso which I burned to a CD
> > and tried to install the OS.
>
> Old netinst images generally do not work, since the packages they depend
> on may be replaced at point releases.  If you really want Debian 5.0
> ('lenny') then you should use the netinst image for the latest point
> release, 5.0.9.

Which seems like quite a nasty problem.

For example: you download the current point release, burn it to a CD
preparing to install a bunch of servers the next day...  then suddenly
there's a new stable update and installation mysteriously fails.

Wouldn't it be better to not delete superseded packages, at least for base?

--
1KB		// Yo momma uses IPv4!