Re: directory under /usr/bin -- Ok or not?

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> really? since when it is nitpicking to quote FHS verbatim? once
> again:
>     "The following directories, or symbolic links to directories, must be in
>     /usr/bin, if the corresponding subsystem is installed:
>     Directory   Description
>     mh  Commands for the MH mail handling system (optional)"

There are exactly two packages in Debian which have subdirectories in
/usr/bin: mailutils-mh, and nmh. Nothing else does this, and having mh
do it in the first place seems to be a historical mistake. [The only
other slight exception is /usr/bin/X11, and we've done away with that
by making it X11 a symlink to .]

A package which uses names that are so general that it conflicts with
existing binary names and thus can't be stuck in /usr/bin by default
probably shouldn't be normally executed directly by users or scripts
in the first place. It shouldn't be encouraged to put such a package's
directories into PATH, either.

Don Armstrong

Herodotus says, "Very few things happen at the right time, and the
rest do not happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct
these defects".
 -- Mark Twain _A Horse's Tail_