Re: directory under /usr/bin -- Ok or not?

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 03:43:08PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Thank you John for extending my argument with adequate references which
> I have swallowed while  composing my question email.
>
> And if we are after reading FHS /usr/lib section:
>
>     /usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries that
>     are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts.
>
> and in my case it becomes more interesting -- those tools *are intended*
> to be executed by (interested) users directly.  It is just due to proliferation
> in number of the tools and conflicts with other packages they cannot go under
> /usr/bin directly.
[...]
> Altogether, according to FHS /usr/lib/PKG is actually not preferable
> location for them since indeed it is for solely internal use (and it is
> now used to keep shared libraries)

This is just nitpicking over the precise wording used.  In practice,
this *is* where they belong, and it is what every other package does
(for example, postgresql).  You can add that specific directory to
your path, should you choose.

When considering the divide between "internal use" and "for users",
consider that if it's for users to invoke then it should simply be
in the default path.  It's not typical to need to add special
directories to one's path, and it's certainly not encouraged or
recommended.

Regards,
Roger

--