Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> Let me ask the question otherwise: what kind of information do you think
> is important enough to show to all logged users immediately?

If the system runs out of memory and starts up the OOM killer, it would be
nice to find some way to give the user a dialog to let them know that's
happening so that they could, for example, close a large application
rather than letting the semi-random OOM killer decide to take out the X
server or something.  (It may have gotten better.)

> Failing hardware? Depending on the setup you might want to warn a system
> administrator rather than users, but that’s indeed a case to consider.

That's the main one that I'd worry about.  Also overheating warnings, for
which even the home user can do something immediately.