Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 12:46:31AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 14 octobre 2011 à 11:32 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh a
> écrit :
> > I seem to recall our super duper memory-bloated DEs were not even
> > warning the user when something was screaming blood murder on the
> > emergency, alert and critical priorities in syslog until wheezy...  That
> > absurd negligence has been fixed, AFAIK, at least in KDE4.  I assume
> > gnome is no worse, and also notifies the user.
>
> Certainly not. GNOME will not present to the user information that he
> will not be able to process. It will warn, for example, when hardware is
> failing and this can be clearly diagnosed, but showing raw syslog
> entries sounds like one of the less useful features to implement.
>
> The best approach is probably the current one: do nothing and let users
> configure their email setup.

Hell no.  I'd go as far as labelling it a severity:critical bug.

If some part of the system has something important to say, you need to tell
it to the user -- or face serious data loss.  Mails sent to root are
something important (or the part which sends them should be spanked for
spamming).

I've recently attempted to recover data lost by a client -- they had a RAID1
setup.  It turns out one of the disks failed seven months ago, mdadm duly
kept notifying about that, but this wonderous Gnome feature meant no one
knew.  And seven months later, the other disk failed...

--
1KB		// Yo momma uses IPv4!