Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

Le samedi 15 octobre 2011 à 12:36 +0200, Adam Borowski a écrit :
> Hell no.  I'd go as far as labelling it a severity:critical bug.

Go ahead, reporting bugs doesn’t necessarily get people to give a fuck.

> If some part of the system has something important to say, you need to tell
> it to the user -- or face serious data loss.  Mails sent to root are
> something important (or the part which sends them should be spanked for
> spamming).

You seem to be unaware of the fact that users faced with too many
messages or alerts will discard them without reading. This is part of
what makes Vista a security disaster.

> I've recently attempted to recover data lost by a client -- they had a RAID1
> setup.  It turns out one of the disks failed seven months ago, mdadm duly
> kept notifying about that, but this wonderous Gnome feature meant no one
> knew.  And seven months later, the other disk failed...

In squeeze, GNOME prints alerts about failing disks. This is the perfect
example of a well-defined error message that the user can take action
upon. This is also a perfect example where using syslog would be
completely irrelevant.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :