Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

Le samedi 15 octobre 2011 à 10:50 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh a
écrit :
> Well, if anything logs on emergency and alert levels, it is a bug if it is
> *not* important enough to pester all logged users immediately.   It is an
> even more clearcut case.

Let me ask the question otherwise: what kind of information do you think
is important enough to show to all logged users immediately?

Failing hardware? Depending on the setup you might want to warn a system
administrator rather than users, but that’s indeed a case to consider.
GNOME will warn you, for example, when your battery has been recalled. I
have yet to see such important information in the syslog.

System about to break down? Users will notice soon enough that it has
stopped working. Having a nice warning to tell them the computer is
falling into pieces doesn’t help much.

Security intrusion warning? In most cases it has to be routed to
appropriate people. Home users will ignore such alerts anyway.

What is the use case for such a feature?
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :