Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

Le vendredi 14 octobre 2011 à 11:32 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh a
écrit :
> I seem to recall our super duper memory-bloated DEs were not even
> warning the user when something was screaming blood murder on the
> emergency, alert and critical priorities in syslog until wheezy...  That
> absurd negligence has been fixed, AFAIK, at least in KDE4.  I assume
> gnome is no worse, and also notifies the user.

Certainly not. GNOME will not present to the user information that he
will not be able to process. It will warn, for example, when hardware is
failing and this can be clearly diagnosed, but showing raw syslog
entries sounds like one of the less useful features to implement.

> I do know many of the GUI MUAs are incomplete jack-jobs that fail to add
> a handler for local system folders (i.e. were only partially ported to
> Linux).  I am not sure which would be the better aproach to deal with
> this deficiency.

The best approach is probably the current one: do nothing and let users
configure their email setup. If there is a sysadmin who has configured
local mail on the system, he can also configure a default account for
local users (evolution allows that, I would be surprised if kmail would
not), but this is no longer a widespread pattern, and it does not make
any sense to make it the default.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :