Re: Default value of net.ipv6.bindv6only should revert to 0

On Apr 08, Hendrik Sattler <post@hendrik-sattler.de> wrote:

> I also don't really see the issues with bindv6only=0. If you listen on
> all interfaces, it makes is easier. If you only listen on specific
> interfaces, it's not in the way.
This is not true, the big problem with bindv6only=0 is that you will get
IPv4 connections mapped in IPv6 so applications need to convert the
addresses everywhere (logs, ACLs processing, etc).

> Just let any application which cannot cope with it install another file
> in /etc that sets it back to 0. Let's have a configuration file war :-(
I am not aware of any Debian package which still has not been fixed.

I will be happy to re-evaluate this at the time of the freeze if it will
be determined that setting bindv6only=1 by default will have a
noticeable impact on the general system usability.

--
ciao,
Marco