Re: Default value of net.ipv6.bindv6only should revert to 0

Zitat von Salvo Tomaselli <tiposchi@tiscali.it>:

On Thursday 08 April 2010 11:05:30 Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 08:20:37AM +0200,
 Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> wrote

 a message of 63 lines which said:
> I've no strong opinion about the default value for
> net.ipv6.bindv6only.  However, I think that any application that
> breaks if the default value is 0 or 1 is broken and a bug must be
> filled..

You mean that applications should use the option IPV6_V6ONLY of RFC
3493, section 5.3, therefore not depending on the system-wide value?

Could be hard to convince the developers to do so, and in my opinion
distribution-specific patches should be used only when necessary, not as a
normal way to proceed.

Unfortunately i don't have access to the POSIX specification, but the
opengroup says that by default bindv6only is 0.

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/V2_chap02.html#tag_15_10_20_02

So basically the developers will assume this value and will probably reject
bugreports claiming that the assumption is wrong.

OTOH, it defaults to 1 in Windows Vista/7, probably as compatibility to XP which didn't have a dual-IP stack.

The text from the opengroup is directly derived from the RFC which had a transition for IPv4 applications in mind (you don't need to work with two sockets, then).

I also don't really see the issues with bindv6only=0. If you listen on all interfaces, it makes is easier. If you only listen on specific interfaces, it's not in the way.

Just let any application which cannot cope with it install another file in /etc that sets it back to 0. Let's have a configuration file war :-(

HS