Re: Default value of net.ipv6.bindv6only should revert to 0

On 06/04/2010 15:47, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Le mardi 06 avril 2010 à 21:04 +0900, Kazuo Oishi a écrit :
>> I have send this message to BTS and rejected.

>>> This has already been discussed on debian-devel and I do not see any new
>>> arguments here.
>>
>> I have already read debian-devel archive, but I was not able to
>> found necessity to change default value of net.ipv6.bindv6only to 1.
>>
>> Anyone, could you teach me why net.ipv6.bindv6only need to be set
>> to 1 globally, and why other good programs need to be changed?
>> I think it should revert.

I've no strong opinion about the default value for net.ipv6.bindv6only.
However, I think that any application that breaks if the default value
is 0 or 1 is broken and a bug must be filled..

> As the new sun-java6 maintainer with an egoistic point of view, I'd like
> this too.
>
> I don't see Oracle/Sun fixing this issue soon since the bug has been
> open in October 2005 [1] and the latest release of the JDK 6 (update 19)
> does not include this fix (it has been released last week) [2].
>
> There is a patch for the OpenJDK but since the official Sun JDK is not
> free, I cannot apply it...

...and squeeze should be released with the default value that minimizes
the number of broken behavior (not the number of bugs because whatever
the default value is, if the application depends on a particular default
value, the bug exists)

Some people around me have been hit by this java bug. They do not read
d-d have they would have never found what was broken if they did not
talk with me. This bug is really difficult to diagnose for a simple user.

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87