Re: Default value of net.ipv6.bindv6only should revert to 0

On Thursday 08 April 2010 11:05:30 Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 08:20:37AM +0200,
>  Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> wrote
>
>  a message of 63 lines which said:
> > I've no strong opinion about the default value for
> > net.ipv6.bindv6only.  However, I think that any application that
> > breaks if the default value is 0 or 1 is broken and a bug must be
> > filled..
>
> You mean that applications should use the option IPV6_V6ONLY of RFC
> 3493, section 5.3, therefore not depending on the system-wide value?

Could be hard to convince the developers to do so, and in my opinion
distribution-specific patches should be used only when necessary, not as a
normal way to proceed.

Unfortunately i don't have access to the POSIX specification, but the
opengroup says that by default bindv6only is 0.

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/V2_chap02.html#tag_15_10_20_02

So basically the developers will assume this value and will probably reject
bugreports claiming that the assumption is wrong.

Bye
--
Salvo Tomaselli