Re: ia32-libs depends on ia32-apt-get ?

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 03:57:28PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu> writes:

>> While we are on the subject of ia32-apt-get, I'm not sure _what_
>> happened, but after the upgrade of ia32-apt-get 14 to 18, suddenly
>> aptitude had about 200 package in "upgradable" state that were not
>> upgradable before.

> ia32-apt-get encodes its own version into the version of converted
> packages. That way every time the converter fixes some bug all
> converted packages get upgraded to a new version. That might not be
> always neccessary but generally is.

> So this is totaly expected.

Well, I most certainly didn't have 200 i386 packages installed, I must
have had maybe 10 of them, so this cannot be the complete
explanation. When I do a "spot check" on a few specific packages, it
seems I went from testing to unstable. For example, take cheese:

[UPGRADE] cheese 2.24.3-2 -> 2.26.2-1

It went from the squeeze version to the sid version. So the behaviour
is as if squeeze had been dropped from my sources.list. Ah, but I have
daily backups of that machine! Let's see. Yes! That's it. The upgrade
removed squeeze from my sources.list. Here is my sources.list before
the upgrade:

deb     http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb     http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ sid     main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ sid     main contrib non-free

deb     http://security.eu.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.eu.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

### ia32-apt-get entries ###

#deb http://ftp.surfnet.nl/os/Linux/distr/debian/ lenny-i386 main
#deb http://ftp.surfnet.nl/os/Linux/distr/debian/ sid-i386 main

#deb http://security.eu.debian.org/ lenny/updates-i386 main

After, no trace of squeeze anymore. Filing a bug.

>> The issue is I don't remember for sure what /etc/apt/sources.list
>> looked like before the upgrade, but now it is:

>> lionelm@harif:/etc/apt$ cat preferences
>> Package: *
>> Pin: release a=testing
>> Pin-Priority: 600

> Better add the pinings from /usr/share/doc/ia32-apt-get/NEWS.Debian.gz
> as well.

The example in there seems to be missing "transitional-i386" and maybe
also "transitional"?

--
Lionel