Re: ia32-libs depends on ia32-apt-get ?

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <didier@raboud.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Norbert Preining wrote:
>> On Mo, 29 Jun 2009, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>>> This package was already enough of a hack, but at least it worked
>>> without fiddling in horrible ways with the packaging system.
>>>
>>> How can we have a working wine or nspluginwrapper now?
>>
>> Not that I know about nspluginwrapper, but I got my skype working again
>> by:
>> - calling /usr/share/ia32-apt-get/convert-all-sources.list
>
> Which horribly breaks with anything a little custom (proxies, custom
> repositories, ...) and fills your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ with ia32-apt-
> get.{i386,amd64} copies of all your pet sources.

Examples please.

> It also breaks on install if there is no /etc/apt/sources.list (which is
> obviously unuseful if you have filled your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ ).
>
>> - increaing Cache-Limit in /etc/apt/conf.d/00cachesize
>
> I did that configuration in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99custom by the way (for
> other things)...
>
>> - calling apt-get update from the commandline
>
> It dpkg-diverts apt-get but not aptitude... How can we accept to see apt-get
> diverted for such a hack ?

You don't have too but then you won't get 32bit support beyond the
verry core libs needed for gcc-multilib.

The reasons for ia32-apt-get are this:

- multiarch is still not there.
- ia32-libs source with all the additional request libs grows to about
  1GB in size of which everything is pure duplication.
- ia32-libs contains so many libs that it needs a new upload every
  other day (or is constantly out of sync like it always was).
- ia32-libs can only cover unstable or testing but not both.
- ia32-libs has no security support but security bugs.
- ia32-libs doesn't ensure library versions are new (or old) enough
  to work with 3rd party debs. They easily miss a library or get a
  wrong version.
- ftp-master has vetoed splitting ia32-libs into individual packages
  and shown a strong dislike to ia32-libs as it was.
- ia32-libs doesn't allow to install 3rd party 32bit debs or use 3rd
  party apt repositories with 32bit packages.

>> - installing skype from aptitude
>
> Personnally, I don't care for non-free stuff, but main's wine depends on
> ia32-apt-get through ia32-libsâ?¦

apt-get install ia32-wine  (tested with the experimental wine)

> Regards,
>
> OdyX, who points to multiarch and suggests it is maybe time to go the real
> route insteadâ?¦

MfG
        Goswin