Re: ia32-libs depends on ia32-apt-get ?

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <didier@raboud.com> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>> Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <didier@raboud.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Which horribly breaks with anything a little custom (proxies, custom
>>> repositories, ...) and fills your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ with ia32-apt-
>>> get.{i386,amd64} copies of all your pet sources.
>>
>> Examples please.
>
> Hi Goswin,
>
> Here is an example from my laptop :
>
> I don't have an /etc/apt/sources.list , so installation fails (#534979). In
> my /etc/apt/sources.list.d, I have 4 files :
>
> * 00_particulars.list, which contains various repositories, some of them
>   commented, some of them not, mostly unused now.
> * 10_apt-proxy.list, which contains lines for my home apt-proxy-ng with
>   testing, t-p-u, unstable, experimental and testing/updates.
> * 20_std.list.dis and 30_local_pbuilder.list.dis, both disabled for aptitude
>   (fallback and intent).
>
> You'll find them in the attached apt_sources_list_d.tar.bz2.
>
> # touch /etc/apt/sources.list; aptitude install ia32-apt-get
> (Does it really generate a gpg key as root, asking me to move the mouse ?)
>
> Then, in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/, in addition to _MY_ 4 files, I have the
> following list :
>

> ia32-apt-get.amd64.00_particulars.list
> 	(Completely broken, no valid repository)

I get:

deb  ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/debian-multimedia/ testing-amd64 main
deb  ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/debian-multimedia/ unstable-amd64 main
deb  ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/debian-multimedia/ experimental-amd64 main
deb  http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel sid-amd64 main
deb  http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel trunk-amd64 main
deb  http://pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org/debian unstable-amd64 main

and all the comments. That looks just fine.

> ia32-apt-get.amd64.list
> 	(empty)

Expected as sources.list is empty.

> ia32-apt-get.i386.ia32-apt-get-transitional.list
> 	(transitional-i386/main not found => nothing valid)
> ia32-apt-get.amd64.10_apt-proxy.list
> 	(Completely broken, no valid repository)

deb  http://apt.#HIDDEN#:3142/debian/ testing-amd64 main contrib non-free
deb  http://apt.#HIDDEN#:3142/debian/ testing-proposed-updates-amd64 main contrib non-free

looks fine too.

> ia32-apt-get.i386.00_particulars.list
> 	(Completely broken, no valid repository)
> ia32-apt-get.i386.list
> 	(empty)
> ia32-apt-get.amd64.ia32-apt-get-transitional.list
> 	(transitional-amd64/main not found => nothing valid)
> ia32-apt-get.i386.10_apt-proxy.list
> 	(Completely broken, no valid repository)

Same as the respecive file of the other arch.

> ia32-apt-get-transitional.list
> 	(WORKS ! - Contains ia32-libs{,-gtk} 1:3.0)
>
> So among the 9 packages prepared by ia32-apt-get postinst, one is working.
> All others are broken.
>
> You'll find them in the attached apt_sources_list_d_after.tar.bz2.
>
> Is that enough of an example ?

Not realy. None of your entries causes an error. They all convert
perfectly.

What do you mean "no valid repository"? Are you trying to use them
without first having called "apt-get update" to actualy create the
index files they reference? So far everything you have shown is as
designed.

>>> It dpkg-diverts apt-get but not aptitude... How can we accept to see
>>> apt-get diverted for such a hack ?
>>
>> You don't have too but then you won't get 32bit support beyond the
>> verry core libs needed for gcc-multilib.
>
> Sorry, but if I install wine, I don't have the choice to have apt-get _not_
> divertedâ?¦
>
>> The reasons for ia32-apt-get are this:
>>
>> - multiarch is still not there.
>> - ia32-libs source with all the additional request libs grows to about
>>   1GB in size of which everything is pure duplication.
>> - ia32-libs contains so many libs that it needs a new upload every
>>   other day (or is constantly out of sync like it always was).
>> - ia32-libs can only cover unstable or testing but not both.
>> - ia32-libs has no security support but security bugs.
>> - ia32-libs doesn't ensure library versions are new (or old) enough
>>   to work with 3rd party debs. They easily miss a library or get a
>>   wrong version.
>> - ftp-master has vetoed splitting ia32-libs into individual packages
>>   and shown a strong dislike to ia32-libs as it was.
>> - ia32-libs doesn't allow to install 3rd party 32bit debs or use 3rd
>>   party apt repositories with 32bit packages.
>
> I very much understand all those reasons. I still think that the actual
> response ia32-apt-get provides is actually not good enough to let things
> like wine rely on.
>
> I would largely prefer if ia32-* in its actual shape would be released in
> experimental (where, with this level of touching the base of Debian
> repositories handling, it should sit) and version 2.7 uploaded back in
> Sid...

Conflicts with libc6-i386.

> Regards,

MfG