Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 04:21:53PM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:

> I totally agree that / (thus /root) could be read-only.
> I pointed out to you that /root is required to be in the same
> filesystem as / (FHS) and I gave you the rationale.

What's the FHS says is a little different:

	/root : Home directory for the root user (optional)

	The root account's home directory may be determined by developer
	or local preference, but this is the recommended default

So the presence of /root is not required and root's home directory can
be set to /home/root by the installer if a read-only "/" is wanted.

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences