Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

On Tue, May 12 2009, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

>>  I don't know if there are more blocker. Oh, and /root is a home
>>  directory; unless we move that,  a read only / would affect root
>>  negatively.
>
> How so? Only thing I can think of is the bash history. But it is not
> like we force a read-only /. That is a choice.

        it is the principle of the thing. /root is the home directory
 for the  root user.  Home directories are mutable, programs may store
 configuration files there, as may the user, by themselves. The root
 user should not be more constrained than other users on the machine are;
 making wirking as root irritating, less customizable, and harder does
 not help the end user admin any.

        Ideally, we should map /root somewhere persistent, writable, and
 also a location available in single user mode; and there are few
 pleasing solutions that meet that criteria; though less than perfect
 solutions exist.

        manoj
--
Success is relative: It is what we can make of the mess we have made of
things. T.S. Eliot, "The Family Reunion"