Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

Gabor Gombas wrote:
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 04:21:53PM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:

I totally agree that / (thus /root) could be read-only.

I pointed out to you that /root is required to be in the same filesystem as / (FHS) and I gave
you the rationale.

What's the FHS says is a little different:

/root : Home directory for the root user (optional)

Purpose

The root account's home directory may be determined by developer or local preference, but this is
the recommended default location.

So the presence of /root is not required and root's home directory can be set to /home/root by
the installer if a read-only "/" is wanted.

Yes, you are right, and the "optional" is very nice!
I was confusing with the following note (and maybe an older version):

"""
If the home directory of the root account is not stored on the root partition it will be necessary
to make certain it will default to / if it can not be located.
"""

ciao
	cate