Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

On Mon, May 11 2009, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:

>>> A read-only / does the trick just as well. And if you don't want
>>> writes to /usr you probably don't want writes to /bin or /sbin
>>> either. So read-only / is really the way to go. Not a strong argument
>>> for a seperate /usr.
>>
>> No, RO / is a lot more difficult to pull off (remember: some of us don't
>> want initrds), while RO /usr is really just a three-char change on fstab
>> (and if you want apt to remount things automatically, two lines in a config
>> file).
>
> Why would you need an initrd for a read-only /?
>
> A read-only / should work out of the box just like a read-only /usr. I

        Except it does not.

> haven't installed a fresh one in a long while though so if you know of
> problems speak up so bugs can be filed and packages can be fixed.

        There is the /etc/mtab issue, and then there are things like
 resolvconf that try to scribble in /etc.  I have not tried recently, so
 I don't know if there are more blocker. Oh, and /root is a home
 directory; unless we move that,  a read only / would affect root
 negatively.

        A read-only / would be nice, but unless you try it on a real
 box, I don't think you assert it should be working out of the box.

        manoj

--
"Vendi, vidi, parenthesi" -- I came, I saw, I programmed in Lisp!" Dave
W. Kimball