Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 03:53:23PM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:

> No, /root cannot be a separate filesystem.
> /root is part of very basic system, and it is required for super user
> when he/she is restoring the systems or doing some kind of administration
> (e.g. moving filesystems, etc.).

Obviously not. If fscking "/" fails then "/" _will_ be read-only and you
_must_ be able to fix it without being able to write under /root, so any
system restoration task must work without /root being writeable.

If you want to write to /root, then _make_ it writable! That's why you
are the system administrator after all. If you want "/" to be read-only,
then move /root to some other filesystem. If you want /root to be on the
same filesystem as "/", then do not make "/" read-only. Really, this is a
"Doctor, it hurts if I shoot myself in the foot - Don't do it, then"
kind of situation...

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences