Re: Test suites after build and Build-Depends.

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:59:04AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > The goals of "nocheck" are different, and more useful, are bypassing
> > the test suite allows faster builds in all cases.
>
> The goals of Build-Depends-Test are the same of "nocheck": faster
> overall build time if you don't care about the test suite. In a sense,
> "nocheck" can be complete only with Build-Depends-Test.
>
> Then you can ask in which scenario you might want to skip test suite
> to build faster, ... and I don't think buildds match that scenario.

nocheck is not only to reduce build-time but also to allow easier
cross-compilation where a cross-compiled test-suite can't run at all on
the build machine.

Thus I don't think that the argument presented holds. The creation of
nocheck doesn't imply that we have to go further and create
Build-Depends-Test for completing any initial goal.

For me it's useless complexity at this point.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog