Re: Test suites after build and Build-Depends.

On 26/01/09 at 08:44 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 09:12:43PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > The upcoming wording doesn't add a way to distinguish between build
> > dependencies required for the build and ones required for testing.
>
> I think that was already clear to Charles. What I think he meant is
> that once 'notest' is widespread enough, its "natural evolution" would
> be a way to distinguish dependencies which belong to tests.

What is the real goal of adding Build-Depends-Test: ?

This wouldn't help the buildds, as they will install the test build-deps
anyway (running the test suite on obscure arches is a really good idea,
and often allows to find bugs in dependencies).

This wouldn't really help the maintainer either.

The download time of build-depends can be easily reduced by using a
caching proxy (approx is really easy to setup).

The installation time of build-depends only used for tests could be a
problem, sure, but you should change your process if you suffer from it.
For example, I usually do most of the packaging work in an unclean
chroot, and use a clean chroot only for the final build. So dependencies
are only installed twice.

The goals of "nocheck" are different, and more useful, are bypassing the
test suite allows faster builds in all cases.