Re: Intel Atom Processor

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:29:48 +0200
Steffen Moeller <steffen_moeller@gmx.de> wrote:
> many thanks for your reply. Your web sites are indeed what I wanted to see,
> possibly a bit too far away from John Doe who just bought such a machine
> as a Newbie Linux user,

Naturally.  The site is made by and for those (both developers and
users) who want to go a step beyond just using a pre-installed Linux
distribution. Serving the newbie community first would be a thoroughly
exhausting enterprise.  We would never make progress with the key areas
in which Debian needs to be improved to fully support the Eee if we
made that our focus.  And even if we took the task on, the wiki would
be the wrong starting point.

That being said, we do welcome and try to assist newbies in any way
that we can, given our limited resources.

> but nevertheless, I particularly liked the
> status page on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/Status.

Thanks.  We recognized that we weren't effectively communicating to
people new to the project what we had accomplished and where we were
headed.  Even so, the status page doesn't go far enough to clear things
up.  The whole wiki (as wikis have a tendency to do) has grown in a sort
of haphazard way and needs some straightening up.

> Your site has no visibility to anyone in the shop who needs to make an
> informed decision about whether taking the risk to go for the XP route
> (which that guy probably knows well) and the Linux route (which saves some
> cash but gives you the impression to be alone). Sales of the Linux version
> are reportedly going sufficiently well to keep it in the shop, but they
> are selling far more Windows machines.

The wiki is probably not the best way to get this message across.  It's
a convenient place to keep notes of use to developers and advanced
users, but is not so good for advocacy/marketing.

> I'll translate that status page to German tonight since I liked it.

Thanks for your translation.  Please keep it up. :)

> Also
> will I then use some scribus or LaTeX magic to transform that page into
> a flyer that, if you agree to it, I will then carry to the local stores
> and just see what they say. Those stores will fight a lot not give the
> impression that they would do support themselves, so I need to think about
> the right wording here. I'll do that both in English and German, should
> not be too hard.

I think the Status page needs some updates first.  Perhaps such a flyer
could be the seed of a proper site.  Something along the lines of:

http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/

Such a site might best be hosted at http://www.debian.org/devel/ where
it can be supported in multiple languages.

But I feel it is early in the project, yet, to be putting energy into
this.  Let's start with the code, ensuring that we have a more
newbie-friendly install process.  At the same time, the wiki needs
more work to give it more coherence.  And then we can think about
building a more carefully crafted site that does not change quite so
often as the wiki and serves as a better starting point for the
uninitiated.

Ben