Re: Standard way to disable services

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 01:21:45PM +0200, Harald Braumann wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 19:27:27 +0200
> Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > No, the standard way is to *rename* the S symlinks to K symlinks.
> >
> > One draw back is that it's not obvious what used to be an S link if
> > you want to reenable them, that's why I rename them to s symlinks...
>
> That's what sysv-rc-conf takes care of. It saves information about the
> original symlinks, so you can restore them later.

sysv-rc-conf is just simple convienience tool.  It is nowhere near
standard tool.  (I used to be sponsor and uploader of this package.)

Standard tool to control service in /etc/init.d is the editor.

Luk's solution is very smart work around.  As good is note in root's
home directory :)  Then we can stay with popular method of using K
symlinks or even use missing symlinks which should be legal but not so
popular configuration.

Cheer's,

Osamu