RE: Intel Atom Processor

> I got your point, you mean we(group of debian) should make a blueprint for some Device like Netbook / UMPC /> MIDs.
Yes. Exactly!

>what is your blueprint based debian like?
At this point of time I am not sure what is going to look like. May be it will help me if you can tell me what exactly do you mean by it. I apologize for my unfamiliarity with some of the terms.

>maybe we can start a project named mobian (mobile debian) ?
Yes this would be awesome. This will bring Debian up to the speed of likes of Ubuntu. I would be happy to assist in this with whatever knowledge and skills I have.

Thanks for effort and initiative.

Kushal Koolwal

I do blog at http://blogs.koolwal.net/

________________________________
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:30:37 +0800
From: freet15@gmail.com
To: kushalkoolwal@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Intel Atom Processor

Hmm. I got your point, you mean we(group of debian) should make a blueprint for some Device like Netbook / UMPC / MIDs.

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Kushal Koolwal  wrote:

> The atom seem to be x86-compatible. so what is the issue that would stop

> it from any i386-based Debian package?

That's true. But it seems that these processors are low power and are made for Ultra mobile PC (UMPC) and netbooks and to take advantage of this the applications need to be optimized/ported to take advantages that this  processor has to offer.

For example, Ubuntu started the netbook-remix program to port applications for Intel Atom processors based on the Intel's moblin project (http://www.moblin.org/).

https://edge.launchpad.net/netbook-remix

And therefore I was wondering if Debian community is planning to have something like this.

Thank you once again for your time.

Kushal Koolwal

I do blog at http://blogs.koolwal.net/

> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 01:06:47 -0400

> From: kevin.mark@verizon.net

> To: kushalkoolwal@hotmail.com

> Subject: Re: Intel Atom Processor

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:31:23AM -0700, Kushal Koolwal wrote:

>> Hello,

>> First of all I apologize if this question is not appropriate for this mailing list. I scanned the entire Debian Mailing Lists and I thought this might be the most appropriate. If it is not then please direct me to the correct one.

>> Now the question:

>> I was wondering if there is any development amongst the Debian community with regards to supporting Intel's latest low power Atom processor which will be mostly used in UMPC (Ultra mobile PC).

>> http://www.intel.com/technology/atom/index.htm

>> While researching over this on the Internet I came across the following website which mentions about Ubuntu having some sort of support for this processor.

>> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/ubuntu-linux-remix.html

>> And therefore I was thinking if Debian Project is planning to natively support these?

>> Thank you in advance.

>> Kushal

> The atom seem to be x86-compatible. so what is the issue that would stop

> it from any i386-based debian package?

> -K

> --

> | .''`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |

> | : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

> | `. `' Operating System | go to counter.li.org and |

> | `- http://www.debian.org/ | be counted! #238656 |

> | my keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net | my NPO: cfsg.org |

> |join the new debian-community.org to help Debian! |

> |_______ Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|

Time for vacation? WIN what you need- enter now!

http://www.gowindowslive.com/summergiveaway/?ocid=tag_jlyhm