Re: Should dpkg-source -x list patches (Re: How to handle Debian patches)

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hmmm, do you regard it as realistic that all maintainers will change to
> a new format in Lenny+1?  I do not think of maintainers who are in principle
> not happy about this format but those who maintain packages that might stay
> untouched perfectly fine over years?  I would personally welcome your plan,
> but I have certain doubts that such kind of transitions are faster than
> for instance /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc and something like that.

Because if the new format is the default format built by dpkg-source, this
will happen automatically when you rebuild your packages... of course, it
means that all the .diff.gz (except the debian dir) will end up in a single
debian/patches/debian-changes-<version>.diff if you don't take care to
put the changes in separate patches.

But the new source package will still be 3.0 (quilt) and at unpack time
you'll be informed that "debian-changes-<version>.diff" is applied.

> Which is nice - and thus I would love to see this implemented now for
> every format if it can be approached fairly easy.  But the maintainer

What means now? dpkg in lenny is frozen...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog