Re: Should dpkg-source -x list patches (Re: How to handle Debian patches)

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

I'm a fairly long-time Unix user. I find it much preferably when command
line tools are quiet by default when things are going well.

I completely agree.  I just have the feeling that some points were raised
in the discussion that things are not going that well, if patches of upstream
code are "kind of" hidden in the unpacked Debian source.  So this is rather
a definition what we understand as "going well".

Providing a
--verbose option rather than a --quiet option would be my preference.

If it is accompanied by a config file option for those people who might
forget to specify --verbose it is probably OK for this case.

Having a tool print out a lot of information that is peripheral to what
I'm doing is distracting, and if it happens often, I start mentally
ignoring the output until something breaks.

Important point!

Listing patches when I unpack source is one of those cases to me.

Summarizing the thread I would file a wishlist bug report saying
something like this:

  Subject: Please provide an option to list patches outside debian directory

  Please add a --verbose/-v option to 'dpkg-source -x' that performs

     lsdiff -z -x '*/debian/*' *.diff.gz

  to point potential maintainers / bug fixers to patches that reside
  outside of the debian directory.  It would be even better if a
  config file option would be parsed that enables to switch on this
  option by default.

Would you regard this as a useful bug report or not?

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de