Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Tue, 20 May 2008 08:00:48 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> said:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>> On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:42:54 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow
>> <goswin-v-b@web.de> said:
>>
>> Hmm. You say things like this:
>>> Because the git format is imho conceptualy broken and the
>>> implementation is far from completely thought out.
>>
>> And then you go saying things like that:
>>> It is trivial to generate a quilt format package from
>>> git/arch/hg/svn and I'm sure there will be a RCS-build-package soon
>>> enough that does that.
>>
>> This can not happen without manual intervention, if the topic
>> branches have overlap. And Redoing the manual conflict resolution
>> over and over and over again is a burden (the manual conflict
>> resolution lives generally in the integration branch history, and can
>> be done once, and mostly ignored from that point on).

> A quilt format package with a single combined patch. Get the
> integration branch, get orig.tar.gz, build. dpkg-buildpackage will
> automatically create a debian_version.patch for you. It is easy.

        How is this better than the current diff.gz thing?

> I'm not saying you get a nice and shiny debian/patches/* out of
> it. That indeed needs human interaction as already said elsewhere.

> To the non git (even not quilt) experienced user the combined patch
> will be usable in that he can edit the source and fix bugs. The git
> format does not allow that.

        Unpack a 3.0 (git) source package. Hack.
 "git commit -a -m"Why I hacked this."
 dpkg-buildpackage

        Seems like does not allow is a bit strong.

        As more and more people swithc to git, git awareness will
 spread, making more people who can actually deal with creating a git
 branch to make changes on.  Seems like a long term win.

> Even with some git knowledge I think that most users that write a
> patch won't follow the maintainers workflow. They won't find the right
> feature branch a patch belongs to and how to merge that into an
> integration branch. Instead they will just edit the source, git commit
> and send the resulting patch. And that means you get a patch against
> the integration branch. Same as you would with the quilt format.

        The users are not really following the maintainers workflow even
 in the git case (If I have to modify patch 7 of 9, I need some
 quilt-fu).

        manoj

--
Do unto others before they undo you.