Re: divergence from upstream as a bug

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 01:26:20PM +0000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> writes:
>
> > FFS let's do not a mua and m-f-t wars. Set your MFT and my MUA will
> > honour that.
>
> What I've requested is laid out in the Debian mailing list code of
> conduct as behaviour to be expected in the absence of explicit
> requests. A Mail-Followup-To field setting may or may not count as an
> explicit request; in the absence of that, the code of conduct should
> apply.

  oh boy, are we really "fighting" over a dupe of a mail ? wasting 4k of
data and two keystrokes ? (in mutt, D~=\n will remove dupes, kmail has
the same functionnality, and most decent MUA do to). CoC is meant to
reduce rudeness, not technical issues from another century.

> > debian/patches is the proper place to put your changes.
>
> Is it? Where is that stated to be required for all packages throughout
> Debian?

  For any reasonnably sized package, yes it should. Though it's not
required. The same way it's not required to use debhelper, even if
something like 90% of the archive do. Don't mix up things that are
mandatory, with best practices.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit