Re: the new style "mass tirage" of bugs

On pe, 2008-02-22 at 07:48 +0100, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Do you think that there is a chance we find a group of people who really like
> mentoring/training others? If so, we could maybe set up kind of a bug-frontdesk
> taking over _all_ new bug reports for a moment and checking them for a the bit
> of information that seems crucial to fix/reproduce the bug.

I think it would be a colossally bad idea to require a "bug frontdesk"
to look at every new bug by default. There should be minimal delay from
a bug being reported to it getting to the package maintainers.
Centralizing any kind of "new bug review" is going to scale really
badly, meaning that we will get a backlog of stuff that the frontdesk
needs to do.

On the whole, Debian development goes well when stuff can be distributed
(automatically) to many people, and goes badly, when small groups are
bottlenecks.

What might work quite well, however, is to have "bug janitors" (a la
kernel janitors) who look at new bugs that have received no attention
for, say, two weeks. If a bug gets reported against a package, and the
package maintainer doesn't react to it, then the janitors can look at
it. They could look at old bugs in general, of course.