Re: the new style "mass tirage" of bugs

Hi,

John Goerzen wrote:
> I have learned that certain well-known packages (OpenOffice, say) are bug

OpenOffice isn't in Debian. If you mean OpenOffice.org, I feel obliged to answer this now, because you complely underestimate a) how many people maintain OOo (hint: 1) and b) how many time even keeping up is.

> blackholes.  I submit a bug, and never hear anything from Debian
> maintainers
> except for periodic triage stuff when a new upstream comes out.

Sorry, that's not fair at all.

> If they suspect it was upstream-related, it should have been forwarded.

And detecting this needs time. And testing.
And even then, when forwarding bugs they might lie at upstream bugtracker for years anyway because Sun doesn't care (and some of the long-forwarded bugs were included in Liors last triage if I am not wrong)

> But I can't submit OpenOffice bugs upstream because we don't use
> OpenOffice.Org's source trees.  Sigh.

Sorry, that's not true either. You can install a plain OOo in parallel with some hackery (use the rpms, install to a rpm db with --force --nodeps)

> There appears to be no place for Debian users to submit OpenOffice bugs
> where
> a human will investigate.

If you give me some time and a co-maintainer at hand...

I am barely keeping up with *new* bugreports and updating the packages, keeping them buildable, backporting fixes from upstream etc.

And you *have* to admit it's gone a bit better for new bugs, it's just that old bugs suffer, I admit, but I simply have no time to go over all of them.

See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=419523 for a RFH open for looong.

Regards,

Rene