Re: dpkg-buildpackage now reorganizing debian/control Depends field??

Il giorno Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:30:48 +0100
Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de> ha scritto:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 02:54:20PM +0100, David Paleino wrote:
> > Il giorno Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:04:52 -0300
> > Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> ha scritto:
> >
> > > As I said, for APT, the order has meaning _always_.
> > >
> > > apt-get install foo bar
> > >
> > > Is completely different of
> > >
> > > apt-get install bar foo
> >
> > Could you please elaborate on this? I know for sure that Pre-Depends exists
> > just for the cases where order _does_ matter. But I've never had problems in
> > installing packages in any order (or probably I've just been lucky).
>
> You should re-read about Pre-Depends again. It's not about the order.

Could you please explain?

/--- Policy 3.5
| Sometimes, a package requires another package to be installed and
| configured before it can be installed. In this case, you must specify a
| Pre-Depends entry for the package.
\---

/--- Policy 7.2
| Pre-Depends
|
|     This field is like Depends, except that it also forces dpkg to complete
| installation of the packages named before even starting the installation of
| the package which declares the pre-dependency, as follows: [..]
\---

So, what did I miss? This *is* about *order*. A Pre-Depends is used to declare
a dependency needed for the preinst scripts, for example.

I might understand that what the OP complains about is something similar to:

Depends: unrar-free | unrar

obviously here the order *does* matter, since in this case the DFSG-free
package would be chosen, in alphabetical order it would not.

Would you please clarify what you meant? I'm kind of confused now.

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino