Re: the new style "mass tirage" of bugs

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:20:42AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Does it reflect badly on you?  Probably not, since you're the only person
> maintaining OOo and you've asked for help.  But I think it unquestionably
> reflects poorly on Debian.  Though of course we are a volunteer project, so
> it is what it is.  I'm just pointing out that.

This is something that's been bugging me for a while now. As our software
packages get larger and larger, we need more people to take them on. To do
this, we need more people willing to work with such large and difficult
codebases. Unfortunately, the number of these people doesn't seem to rise
at nearly the same level as the total amount of code we have to maintain in
such packages.

We could deal with this problem if we were better at training and
recruiting people to work on such things. We've been lucky in the XSF
lately in getting enough hands to get the work done, but I don't think
there's any clear forumla from our experience that could guide other teams
to do the same. I'd love to find one though. If we could do a better job of
steering people towards these important packages rather than their vanity
package of the hour, I think everyone would benefit.

 - David Nusinow