Re: Future Debian package candidate web pages: present and future

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 23:43 +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Don Armstrong wrote:
> > There's no SQL to talk to. If you want actual accurate data, the SOAP
> > service is the thing to talk to. [Anything else has various delay
> > lengths in it before you actually see the data reported.]

> my wnpp page is run by two PHP 5 scripts: one is syncing a MySQL
> database with
> BTS, the other one allows to browse the current content of the
> database. syncing
> currently means adding new bugs and removing old bugs, but not yet
> updating the
> others, e.g. currently bug retitles will not show up there.

Have you thought about not relying on a cron job but doing the whole
thing via the PHP SOAP interface? I'm using PHP and SOAP to query the
BTS for Emdebian.
http://www.emdebian.org/bugs.php
(code available in the Emdebian SVN repo)
http://buildd.emdebian.org/svn/browser/current/website/trunk/english

The actual SOAP interface in PHP is almost trivial - it only takes 5
lines of PHP to replace all the MySQL interface code (or sqlite in my
case).

> i started working on this project and i have reached the point
> where it makes sense to get more eyes into play:
>
>     http://debian.binera.de/wnpp/
>
> it's a start, not a full solution yet.

It could do with some sub-divisions, separating ITP from RFP etc.

Also some form of re-ordering using the PHP query-string? To allow
sorting by age, title, type and even description. (Think how Apache does
index pages for directories or the various RCS web frontends allow
sorting by age etc.)

One very useful addition would be an internal search - help people find
out if an RFP or ITP already exists before filing a new ITP etc. Sorting
by description or project could help with that but a full text search
would be v.useful. The hardest thing to do right now is work out if
someone has already filed an ITP or RFP when preparing an ITP myself.
There are so many that my eyes just glaze over when browsing the WNPP
list and in-browser text search isn't always friendly.

--

Neil Williams