Re: can Breaks be used already? (was Re: Opinions sought: mlocate appropriate for Priority: standard?)

Steve Langasek writes ("Re: can Breaks be used already? (was Re: Opinions sought: mlocate appropriate for Priority: standard?)"):
> I think you mean that Ian Jackson always recommends upgrading apt and
> aptitude prior to performing dist-upgrade. :)  The release notes haven't
> always recommended this, because in the past there have been occasions where
> doing so ran into problems related to glibc/kernel circular deps.

No, I don't make any such recommendation, at least to users :-).

But yes, I do think it would be a better state of affairs if we
decided that users ought to do the upgrade with the new package
installation toolstack, and supported that properly.

For the deployment of Breaks we do ideally need to either wait a
release cycle or to upgrade apt, aptitude and dpkg first.

If there are glibc/kernel circular dependencies which prevent us doing
this then we should arrange to build the packaging machinery using the
previous release.  That's what we did in previous transitions and it
worked well.

Ian.