Re: Opinions sought: mlocate appropriate for Priority: standard?

Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> wrote:
> * Andreas Metzler [Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:31:29 +0100]:
[...]
>> I did consider it, but afaik the pulled-in-by-dependency-szenario is
>> going to be rare.

> Well, dlocate has 2500 popcon installations, vs. slocate's 1500. So, I'm
> still convinced findutil's locate's cron script should either only run if
> it's the configured locate, *or* not run unless enabled in /etc/default/locate.

> But it's your package and I know how to disable one script for cron, so
> I won't mention it further. :-)

Perhaps it is possible to make dlocate work with mlocate's tools.

> Down to some specifics:

>  * shall we use a single alternative group /usr/bin/locate (symlink:
>    locate), with slaves for /usr/share/man/man1/locate.1.gz,
>    /usr/bin/updatedb, and /usr/share/man/man1/updatedb.1.gz? (mlocate
>    likes its updatedb man page in section (8), and I think it makes
>    more sense; does the .1 come from upstream, or is something that
>    could be changed in your package? Or maybe it's better to use .1 due
>    to "histerical reasons")

.1 comes from upstream. It is possible for users to uses updatedb to
index their own filetree. (With mlocate it is probably not necessary.)

>    I guess mlocate can use priority 80, and plain locate 20?

>    (mlocate also provides updatedb.conf.5, which could be a problem if
>    locate starts shipping it at some point. Should I install an
>    alternative for it just in case?)

Nice to bring up the configuration file problem. ;-)

How does mlocate.updatedb handle updatedb.conf? Does the binary read
the file on every execution or does it also rely on wrapper script
(the cron job) to source it? findutils works the latter way and the
file is therefore misnamed, it is find-daily.defaults, not
updatedb.conf.

You do not plan on sharing the configuration file between packages, do
you?

[...]
>    same upload, findutils gets:

>      Breaks: dlocate (<= 0.5-0.3)

I thought Breaks was not yet handled by dpkg/apt and was therefore
pointless?

>    1c. I submit a bug against dlocate asking for

>      Depends: locate | findutils (<= 4.2.31-1)

plus a sourcechange to actually work with both.

[...]
>  Sounds good, and/or possible ETA?

Sounds basically ok. I will try to make some real progress on the
weekend.

cu andreas
so grateful to you.'