Re: modified email address in debian/copyright file

Andre Majorel <aym-naibed@teaser.fr> writes:

> On 2007-09-27 16:39 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > I think [valid contact information for copyright holders at the
> > time of packaging] should be required, in order that Debian users
> > can have more confidence [0] in the copyright status of works in
> > Debian.
>
> This is your goal. It's up to you to find a way to meet it while
> respecting the wishes of the upstream authors.

The way seems fairly simple: Define a package without valid
copyright-holder contact information as an unacceptable risk for
Debian to take on behalf of its users.

> If you can't, the wishes of the upstream authors take precedence and
> you don't distribute the package. Do we agree on that ?

I think we should "respect the wishes of the upstream authors" in the
same manner as their license terms.

We are already in the habit of encouraging upstream copyright holders
to re-license their works under terms that pass the DFSG, rather than
dropping the package without trying. I don't see why valid contact
information of the copyright holder shouldn't be treated the same way.

--
 \     "I have an answering machine in my car. It says, 'I'm home now. |
  `\      But leave a message and I'll call when I'm out.'"  -- Steven |