Re: Considerations for 'xmms' removal from Debian

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 10:13:45AM +0000, William Pitcock wrote:
> Josselin Mouette <joss <at> debian.org> writes:
>

> > Le dimanche 12 août 2007 à 09:34 +0000, William Pitcock a écrit :

> > I wonder what kind of crack you are on. Your website shows the 1.3.0
> > release date as being 2 march 2007. This was only one month before the
> > etch release, during the deep freeze phase.
> >
> > If you think one month is a considerable amount of time, you have no
> > idea of what integrating a distribution means.
> >

> I find it funny that Fedora Core 5, 6, and 7, all included the latest versions
> of Audacious at the time of their releases, which had similar time windows.

Well Debian has another focus than Fedora Core, I won't comment further
on the implications...

> > Please check your facts.
>
> Please stop calling my project an XMMS replacement. Because it's not. I'm simply
> providing the mailing list the same courtesy of assuming facts and deriving
> facts from old, outdated information instead of doing research (as many others
> have done). It seems appropriate here.

It seems that you don't understand why we call it an XMMS replacement:
it's not at all about having all the same features, it's about the core
functionality. If we consider audacious an XMMS replacement it means
that we think audacious is as good or even better then XMMS for the core
functionality. If you don't like audacious to get many more users
because of it, we might indeed consider other replacements...

Cheers

Luk