Re: Considerations for 'xmms' removal from Debian

David Lopez Zajara (Er_Maqui <er_maqui <at> darkbolt.net> writes:

> GTK+ 1.2 are unmantained upstream, yes.

No it's not. GTK1 maintainance ceased in Feburary 2001.

> I've read on this thread, on a critical for audacious "as xmms
> replacement", I've pointed who audacious doesn't have many features
> present on xmms.

THAT'S BECAUSE WE ARE NOT AN XMMS REPLACEMENT. HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES DO I HAVE
TO SAY THIS?

We are a BMP *classic* replacement, which had OTHER ideas for the direction of
the player. We are the continuation of those ideas combined with my own ideas,
and definitely not the ideas of the XMMS developers for how the player should
be. Therefore, we are NOT AN XMMS REPLACEMENT, OK?

> I've read a reply: "Contact with the main upstream and ask for these
> features".

We will not implement features only because XMMS does them. Feature requests
have to include a sane reasoning and use case for why it is necessary to be
implemented in Audacious. For instance, plugins can extend the GUI in many ways
that they can not in XMMS, meaning that most features can be added by plugins.
This is especially true in the work in progress Audacious 1.4.

> The same can be for application here: We can suggest to the
> main upstreams for all these GTK+ 1.2 application for port them to
> GTK+2. This work it's harder than a simple feature, but its the same, a
> suggestion. This are applicable for these thread, for all GTK+ 1.2
> applications on the archive, and for the "precipitate" reaction on
> another distributions (mentioned on this thread).

Debian is not the only distribution considering or have already removed GTK1. It
was just as dead to the GTK developers in 2001 as it is now.

William