Re: Thoughts about the bug tracking system

Bastian Venthur <venthur@debian.org> writes:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >         My mail client is a script, ~/bin/mail-handler; which, I
> >  think, is not permissible in reportbug-ng.  In other words, the
> >  user can not configure the reporter; they can ask the author to
> >  add in some standard mail clients; but not the non-standard ones.
>
> It shouldn't be a huge problem to provide the option you want, but
> since it is a rather exotic (I assume most people just use a mail
> client), it isn't currently of high priority for me.

Even those who use a popular mail client will often want to alter the
exact command line used to invoke that program, especially for
specific purposes like reporting a bug.

> I think realistically we're talking about roughly a dozen different
> mail clients (surely not thousands) which should cover 99% of all
> users needs. I don't see a problem here.

Many of which have dozens of options, resulting in limitless
command-line configurations.

Allowing the users to select a pre-defined command line from a limited
set of specific, popular MUAs is great. Not allowing them to configure
that command line for their specific purpose is the limitation being
discussed.

--
 \          "Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a |
  `\                                       feature."  -- Rich Kulawiec |