Thoughts about the bug tracking system

When I'm locking at the BTS, I sometimes get the feeling it was either
designed a long time ago, or that it was designed by real hardcore
developers. Not that it isn't effective, as when you have learned the
whole system, you can query it pretty fast, but the threshold is
pretty steep.

I don't know if there has been any discussions about some redesign of
the system, to make it a bit more user friendly, but perhaps it's time
to do something? (or perhaps you only want "real" bug reports from
"real" developers, and pass "users" to ubuntu or similar? :)).

The major problem with the current system, is that it requires that
the reporter has access to a mail server, if they want to use the more
easier variant by using reportbug script. their other alternative is
to send an email from their webmail (I assume that they don't have
access to an smtp server, and are prohibited to use one by them self
by port 25 blocking) using a complicated syntax to be able to send
"correct" reports.

Perhaps I'm out on deep water here, but just wanted to give a thought.
perhaps a web-based solution (with backward compabillity to current
system) would be the most optimal solution?

/Carl Fürstenberg

p.s. if this is wrong list, please shoot me...