Re: Thoughts about the bug tracking system

* Adeodato Simó [Mon, 23 Jul 2007 00:05:59 +0200]:

> xdg-email does not deal with clients directly; it just constructs a
> mailto: URL from its arguments and options (or a mailto: url can be
> given directly if that's easier for the caller), and opens it with the
> appropriate command depending on the desktop environment: kmailservice
> for KDE, gnome-open and exo-open for GNOME and Xfce, respectively. If
> the user is not running any of these desktop environments, it opens the
> mailto: url in the sensible-browser, in hopes that it'll be configured
> correctly to handle mailto: links.

Forgot to add between these paragraphs:

  This means that any mail client that can be configured in the KDE,
  GNOME or Xfce control centers or equivalent, will be supported. And
  that will probably be all of them, at least for KDE.

> All of that can be overriden by an user script, xdg-email-hook.sh. If
> present, it'll be called directly with a mailto: URL. That virtually
> gives Rng support for any mail client and user case scenario, even
> Manoj's. ;-)

All in all, I think it'd be a very good default value.

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

He who has not a good memory should never take upon himself the trade of lying.
                -- Michel de Montaigne