Re: Thoughts about the bug tracking system

* Bastian Venthur [Sun, 22 Jul 2007 23:50:49 +0200]:

> I'll have to investigate which mail clients xdg-email supports and
> whether it supports at least the to-, subject- and body for all of them.
> If this is the case, I should make it the default and leave the other
> ones as an option.

xdg-email does not deal with clients directly; it just constructs a
mailto: URL from its arguments and options (or a mailto: url can be
given directly if that's easier for the caller), and opens it with the
appropriate command depending on the desktop environment: kmailservice
for KDE, gnome-open and exo-open for GNOME and Xfce, respectively. If
the user is not running any of these desktop environments, it opens the
mailto: url in the sensible-browser, in hopes that it'll be configured
correctly to handle mailto: links.

All of that can be overriden by an user script, xdg-email-hook.sh. If
present, it'll be called directly with a mailto: URL. That virtually
gives Rng support for any mail client and user case scenario, even
Manoj's. ;-)

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in
despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the
implacable grandeur of this life.
                -- Albert Camus